This is a two-day course that focuses on the essential elements of Strategic Thinking. It aims to teach participants how to think strategically every day in their roles as well as part of the business planning process. It helps them to develop a strategic insight, define a strategic vision and create new strategic ideas. They learn a selection of practical strategic thinking tools that enable them to formulate business strategies and think about the big picture. The workshop has been intentionally designed to be interactive so that the candidates will learn from extensive case studies, apply practical thinking tools and participate in hands-on exercises based on a practical learning approach.
Managers, Senior Managers and Senior Leadership Teams.
- Define strategic thinking and distinguish it from other types of thinking
- Recognize that strategic thinking and strategic planning are different but related processes
- Use strategic thinking and planning tools effectively
- Communicate and negotiate well to position the strategic plan for approval
Overview of Strategic Thinking
- What is the difference between strategy and tactic?
- Insight, forecasting and foresight
- What is the difference between strategic thinking and strategic planning?
- Getting ready: planning to think
- What is strategic thinking?
- How does strategic thinking differ from operational thinking?
- What are the options to thinking strategically?
- The aims of the strategic thinker
- Some preparatory strategic questions to ask
Essentials for Strategic Thinking
- Focus on the goals
- Weigh Risks against Rewards
- Intuition or hard facts? Or both?
- Making decision adaptable and flexible
- Establishing priorities
The Strategic Thinker’s Tools
- Guidelines for brainstorming
- Gap Analysis Plus
- Pre-defining Success: Logic framework
- Opportunity Costing
- Setting priorities
- Information analysis
Related Strategic Processes
- Sensitivity analysis
- Contingency planning
- Scenario Planning
From Strategic Thinking to Strategic Planning
- Aligning strategic decisions with critical goals
- Ground rules for making stronger decisions and plans
- Setting measurable, specific objectives
- Keeping strategic planning simple
- The strategic planning team
- How to monitor your strategic plan’s effectiveness
Leading people through change
- How to engage people on the journey
- Overcoming resistance
- How to ensure the plans have the greatest chance of success
- Usage and application of the change leadership model